The Tasmanian Council of Churches (TCC) is a fellowship of Christian Churches in Tasmania committed to the promotion of Christian unity. The TCC is an autonomous body with policies decided by the six Member Churches. Delegates from Member Churches are drawn from across Tasmania. Delegates are, along with Heads of Churches and representatives of Associated Bodies, the voting members of Council. The TCC's state office is located in Hobart, in the suburb of Bellerive.
The TCC is affiliated with the National Council of Churches in Australia (NCCA), through which we maintain good relations with other State ecumenical bodies around Australia, as well as the Christian Conference of Asia (CCA) and the World Council of Churches (WCC).
The Tasmanian Council of Churches was one of the first State ecumenical bodies to be established. The TCC was established on 27 April 1946, at a State-wide meeting of denominational representatives at Evandale in northern Tasmania. In April 2016 we celebrated our 70th anniversary by the Council Executive meeting again in Evandale. The year 1946 was at a time when Christians around the world were given a new vision of Christian unity through the formation of the World Council of Churches (in the period 1937-1948). In 1970 we became the first ecumenical council in Australia (and one of the first in the world) in which the Roman Catholic Church is a full member.
Our Internet website was created in 2009, and completely re-developed in 2014. Our website editor reviews the site at least weekly, and more frequently as warranted. Our Emergencies Ministry website was created in 2014. The Emergencies Ministry was incorporated on 11 October 2016 and is now an Associated Body of the TCC, with shared peak officers.
Links are provided for information only. The Tasmanian Council of Churches is not responsible for external websites